Am I Spoiled or What?

This past Saturday, while we were out at the mall, a thunder storm rolled through our area. When we returned home, one of our satellite boxes would not work (of course it was the HD one) Then we discovered that the base unit on our cordless phones was out, so none of the three hand-held units would work. However, our corded phone did work, even though it was plugged in to the same jack as the satellite box. Later we discovered that the desk-top computer would not connect to the internet, although the wire-less router was working and we can connect via the laptop. We also found out that our neighbor lost a TV in the storm, so we assume that our problem was also associated to lightening.
These things, in and off themselves, although aggravating are not the crux of my concern. The thing that bugs me is the frustration level and down-right anger as I began the process of calling the telephone service, Direct TV people to get repair work started. I should be above all that. I just preached last night on the requirements for being a disciple, and #1 on the list is "self-denial". Yet, I find my self upset over my inconvenience while thousands in my home state of Alabama lost homes, vehicles, businesses and even loved ones in the spate of tornadoes that blew through there two weeks ago. Across the globe in Japan, the devastation is even more wide-spread following the killer tsunami. What is wrong with me?!!! The realization of my pettiness has caused me to re-examine my position as a Christ follower. I remember the conversation between Jonah and the Lord when the vine that gave him shade died and he got very angry. The Lord said, "You cared about the plant that grew up over night and then vanished quickly. You did nothing to make it grow or keep it alive. Should I not care about the many inhabitants of Ninevah." (paraphrased) Suddenly I have a fresh perspective. I find it easy to serve God so long as I have my recliner, my HDTV, my air-conditioned home, my car, cell phone, laptop, etc; but take those things away and I'm exposed as the self-centered slob that is the "old" me. Today I'm re-visiting the words of Paul in Romans 6:11 "Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus."; and in Galatians 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ, I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." Thank you, Lord, for the wake up call. Now, if only those repairmen would hurry up (just kidding)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man's Way vs God's Way

Waiting for Christmas sermon, Waiting for Christmas sermon by Brian Bill, Luke, Luke - SermonCentral.com

To Whom Should We Pray?