We need a Filter

I just changed the water filter in our refrigerator. After putting the new filter in place, I had to run water through it for about 5 minutes to clear the air from the water line. As I was doing this, I was reminded of something Jesus said in Mark 7:18-20 "Are you also lacking in understanding? Don't you realize that nothing going into a man from the outside can defile him? For it doesn't go into his heart but into the stomach and is eliminated (as a result He made all foods clean) Then He said, 'What comes out of a person, that defiles him. For from within, out of people's hearts, come evil thought, sexual immoralities, thefts, murders, adulteries, greed, evil actions, deceit, lewdness, stinginess, blasphemy, pride, and foolishness. All these evil things come from within and defile a person.'" It occurred to me that we are in need of a filter; perhaps a two function one. One function to filter that which enters our life via our eyes and ears, and another to filter what comes out through our mouth. Paul reminds us in Ephesians that we need to be "washed with the water of the Word". The Word of God can function as the filter we need to help us clean up our thoughts, clean out our heart and speak only that which edifies. I remember hearing a story of a man, a Christ-follower, who worked in construction. He was subjected daily to lots of profane, vulgar language. When he returned home each evening, he immediately got his Bible and sat and read for about half an hour. He did this before doing anything else. When asked about this practice, he said, "I have to cleanse my mind from all the garbage that has entered my eye and ear gates during the day." I think that if we believers learn to let God's Word be the filter of our thoughts and words, we could literally change the world within a year.
BTW, I came across an interesting challenge on the site linked below. I'm taking this 40 day challenge. What about you?
Gmail - Welcome to 40 Days to Life Above the Negativity - bcole39@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man's Way vs God's Way

Waiting for Christmas sermon, Waiting for Christmas sermon by Brian Bill, Luke, Luke - SermonCentral.com

To Whom Should We Pray?