Experience in NOT the Best Teacher

You've probably heard this most of your life.  Some well meaning relative or teacher or "friend" has quoted the old adage "Experience is the best teacher."  This could not be further from the truth.  For example, I don't need to be hit by an 18 wheeler to learn that it is dangerous and life-threatening.  I don't have to get cancer to learn that cancer is often fatal.  I don't have to get drunk or get high on drugs to learn that alcohol and drugs are bad for a person.
Currently there is a lot of talk about two quasi-biblical movies that have come out; "The Son of God" and "Noah".  I've read many evangelical blogs suggesting that every believer needs to see these movies for themselves and make their own decision about them.  To me that is somewhat like telling my daughters, "why don't you try Islam, Buddhism, Ancestor worship, Scientology, etc and then decide whether or not these are better or worse than Christianity.
Let me hasten to say that I'm not condemning those who choose to see these movies.  I'm just saying that it isn't necessary for me to see them in order to know and understand the subject matter.  The book has already been written.  Many good, reliable translations have been made that are easily read and understood by most people.  I can read the REAL story and not have to rely on a movie maker who is somewhat influenced by the box office.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man's Way vs God's Way

To Whom Should We Pray?

Waiting for Christmas sermon, Waiting for Christmas sermon by Brian Bill, Luke, Luke - SermonCentral.com