When Experience Doesn't Match Scripture

Recently I said from the pulpit that a large number of professing Christians do not believe scripture.  The example I cited was James 5:14-16.  I told our people that I kept a bottle of olive oil in my car, and in the almost four years I had been pastor of the church I had never been asked by a sick person, and we have a lot of them, to anoint them with oil and pray for them.  Shortly thereafter I had occasion to pray for two people, one with a heart irregularity and another with Crohns' Disease and Chronic Asthma.  That has been weeks ago, and so far as I know both are still dealing with the symptoms of the diseases.  I have read and re-read the scripture passage.  I have examined my life and my motives and I have asked God why we did not experience what it seems that James said would happen.  The only deviation I can find from our experience and James' words was that in neither case did the sick person initiate the anointing and prayer.  Each was asked if they wanted this to happen and both agreed.
I did have another church member say to me, "I want you to anoint and pray over me, later."  So far "later" has not come.  I still have my bottle of oil in the car and the offer still stands that I, along with some of our deacons, will anoint and pray for whoever asks.  I have concluded that my responsibility is to be obedient to the scriptures and leave the results to God.  My experience should never "trump" the Word of God.  I have the promise that His Word will accomplish its purpose. If that doesn't happen within my time frame, so be it.  I rest on Paul's statement in Romans 3:3-4 "What then? If some did not believe will their unbelief cancel God's faithfulness?  Absolutely not! God must be true, even if everyone is a liar, as it is written 'That You may be justified in Your words and triumph when You judge."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man's Way vs God's Way

To Whom Should We Pray?

Waiting for Christmas sermon, Waiting for Christmas sermon by Brian Bill, Luke, Luke - SermonCentral.com