Use it or Lose it

I had minor surgery about a month ago to remove the roots of a squamous cell from my leg.  The surgery was performed with local anesthesia and only lasted about 10-15 minutes. I was told to limit my activity and keep my leg elevated for about two weeks until the sutures had dissolved and the wound had begun to heal.  However, at the end of two weeks the wound was still oozing and there was a good bit of swelling.  Long story short, I limited my activity for almost a month as the wound gradually healed.
Today I went for a walk for the first time in a month.  My walk only consisted of about 1750 steps.  I noticed a tightening of the muscles in my lower back and fatigue beginning to set in. That short time of relative inactivity resulted in a weakening of my muscles and a depletion of my energy beyond anything I could imagine.  It occurs to me that many people have let their "prayer muscles" atrophy through the lack of use.  Some only pray when there is a dire situation or emergency.  Many, even if they do attend a prayer service, remain silent and only pray "in their minds". I find that our "prayer muscles" must be exercised just as our biceps, triceps, quadriceps, etc.  If they are not, they will atrophy and we will become weak in prayer.
Also, do you know that you have a personal prayer trainer?  He is called Holy Spirit.  He guides as you pray and even intercedes for you when you don't know how to pray as you should.  Take some time today to begin and end your day with prayer.  Just express your love, appreciation and thanks to God for who He is and what He does.  Then tell him what you need.  I find that needs are often the catalyst that prompt prayer.  Also, the next time you are in prayer meeting, realize that you aren't making a speech for people, but you are communicating with God.  Listen to the prayers of others and mentally, or perhaps orally agree with them.  We are promised that there is power in agreement in prayer.  Bottom line...use your prayer muscles...or you may lose the ability to communicate with God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man's Way vs God's Way

Waiting for Christmas sermon, Waiting for Christmas sermon by Brian Bill, Luke, Luke - SermonCentral.com

To Whom Should We Pray?