Choosing to Respond
Any time we're confronted with unexpected, and perhaps unpleasant, circumstances, we have a choice. We can REACT or we can RESPOND. When we react, we're allowing the circumstances to dictate the situation. When we RESPOND we're taking a measured, thoughtful approach which allows us to put a positive spin on the situation. Here's how I've learned to RESPOND.
- Realize that God is in control, and was not at all surprised with the circumstances.
- Recognize that possibly, we have contributed to the situation by word, deed, inaction or attitude, and taking responsibility for our part.
- Look for the positive. What can we learn, or how can we grow from the circumstances?
- Pray for those who may have knowingly or unknowingly contributed to the negative things that you're experiencing.
- Look for the open door or window that God provides on the other side of the circumstance.