Irritating Comes Naturally; Obnoxiousness Takes Practice

Last night my wife and I attended a dinner theater at the clubhouse where we live. We wanted to support one of the guys who comes to our Home Group and was in one of the plays. As usual at such events, people who imbibe, BTOB (bring their own bottle). We were a little concerned because we didn't know who would be at our table and whether or not they would want to share their "cheer". Fortunately, there was only one "imbiber" at our table and she never even asked if we wanted to share. Thank goodness.
However, at the table next to us was one woman who seemed to have gotten a head start before coming to the event. She was sipping wine throughout the evening, and getting louder and louder both with her talking, laughter and "hooting" both during and after the performances. I noticed that some at her table seemed a bit uncomfortable. Her husband just smiled alot. Several of her friends dropped by the table to see what was going on. One of them took a sip of her wine saying, "What are you drinking, anyway?" She seemed oblivious to or even seemed to enjoy the attention she was getting. It occurred to me that this behavior was not new for her, but was another in a long line of efforts to be accepted and "fit in" whatever that means. Little did she know that not only was she not fitting in, she was sticking out like a sore thumb.
It made me think. You know, we can often be irritating to those around us without being aware of it, just because something about our personality or person doesn't mesh with their sensibilities. But there are others who deliberately go out of their way to be obnoxious (you know, like some shoppers on Black Friday). That takes practice.
That reminds me of what Paul said in Ephesians 5:15-18 "So be careful how you live, not as fools bus as those who are wise. Make the most of every opportunity for doing good in these evil days. Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to understand what the Lord wants you to do. Don't be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, let the Holy Spirit fill and control you."

Comments

D Baynham said…
I am a little confused, sorry, but why would it be unconformable if someone offered to share a bottle of wine with you? I am a Christian and I drink a glass of wine with a meal. Christ's first Miracle was to turn water into wine at the wedding at Cana.
I agree drunkenness is wrong, but enjoying a glass of wine with a meal is no more wrong than enjoying a walk in a park or the smell of baking bread. On more than one occasion Christ drinks, especially on Passover and shares the Bread then the Wine.

If you have a problem with alcohol that is fine, but just because someone is a Christian doesn't mean they shouldn't drink. Unless I am reading a different Bible to you?
I understand Paul says don't drink...he also don't get married, stay celibate, be a 24/7 evangelist, have no possessions not even a change of clothes....Sorry I don't do any of that. I am a Christian, I do evangelise, I share with the poor and I give my time and money to my Church. I don't get drunk, I don't smoke. But I do enjoy a drink.

Popular posts from this blog

To Whom Should We Pray?

Christ is Risen; Now What?

Waiting for Christmas sermon, Waiting for Christmas sermon by Brian Bill, Luke, Luke - SermonCentral.com