This One Thing I Do

Brain, Interrupted - Yahoo! Finance:

'via Blog this'
Paul hit the nail on the head long before any scientist began testing our ability to "multi-task".  In Philippians 3:13-14 he wrote "Brothers I do not consider myself to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and reaching forward to what is ahead, I pursue as my goal the prize promised by God's heavenly call in Christ Jesus."
When we try to have our devotion time in from of the TV (even if we mute it) our attention is not fully on the Lord and what He is saying to us through Hid Word.  If we pray while driving or sitting in a resturant, we are not able to focus on our request or on His immediate response to our request.  Even as I write this, I'm convicted because I'm guilty of doing the very things I'm mentioning here.  The bottom line is that all of us need some "closet time".  Jesus said in Matt. 6:6 "But you, when you pray, go into your room and when you have shut your door, pray to your Faother who is in the secret place (closet); and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."
When we attend church with our minds focused on our problems, what so and so is wearing or on the fact that a certain person did not speak to us, we are not focused on what God wants to communicate to us through the service.  The preacher is not exempt.  If he gets stopped just before going into the pulpit by someone who dumps a problem or an announcement that MUST be made, his mind is diverted from the message God has given him to deliver to the problem/announcement that has been dumped on him.
Let's learn from Paul.  In both your personal and corporate worship, cut out distractions and focus on the object of your worship...Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man's Way vs God's Way

Waiting for Christmas sermon, Waiting for Christmas sermon by Brian Bill, Luke, Luke - SermonCentral.com

To Whom Should We Pray?