I Know My Rights!!!

I'm preaching this Sunday from 1 Corinthians 9 where Paul explains that although he has certain "rights" he chooses not to claim them for the sake of the gospel.  After finishing my sermon preparation I got on the internet and came across various articles and posts where people were going to great extremes to defend their "rights" such as in the article linked above.  I'm saddened by the prevailing attitude, not only in America, but around the world, of "me, my and mine".  Years ago when I was a youth pastor, I did a message for our youth group entitled "Satan's Greatest Disguise".  That disguise is...you.  Once you begin to think only of yourself and what you want, the enemy gets behind you and pushes you to great extremes.  While you think that you are coming up with those ideas on your own, you are actually being fed a line by the most masterful manipulator of all time.  The only thing he can't stand is TRUTH.  (BTW truth is a person..."I AM the way the TRUTH and the life..." Jesus.) When two persons, fighting over their "rights" can cause an airliner to divert from their planned route and put hundreds of other people off their schedule, I think we've gone too far.  It is time for Christians to set the tone for the rest of the world by living out the true meaning of discipleship found in Luke 9:23 "Then He said to them all, 'If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow Me." Running the risk of offending someone, I'll close by saying if you don't know Jesus personally and aren't living by His commands and example you are part of the problem in the world today.

Comments

bcole39 said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

To Whom Should We Pray?

Waiting for Christmas sermon, Waiting for Christmas sermon by Brian Bill, Luke, Luke - SermonCentral.com

Christ is Risen; Now What?